Re: commit (head): toward fixing 8130

From: Robert Staudinger <robsta_at_stereolyzer.net>
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 14:10:36 CET

Am Montag, den 17.01.2005, 12:23 +0000 schrieb Tomas Frydrych:
> Hi Rob,
>
> > I see your point. The major difference still is that the language
> > setting
> > - is not visible to the user (at least not obviously)
>
> It is visible for the current selection, because that is what gets
> pre-selected in the dialogue.

Yes it would definitely help (and is my plan) to preselect "Apply to
paragraph" if there's a selection.
What i meant is that unlike, say, font-size, the language of a paragraph
is not "visible": you can change the language and it still looks the
same.

> It is not visible for the document default, that is a good point. The
> easiest way to fix it is for the string next to the check box to include
> the current setting, something like
>
> 'make this the default language for document (currently English, US)'.

I've been thinking about that but IMHO setting the document language is
use case #1 with #2 setting paragraph lang far off. So when the dlg is
opened the current doc lang is displayed anyways.
Still other people might edit more multi-lang docs than me.

> > - it's not located in the Format menu with all the other commands that
> > behave alike.
> >
> > Abi's tools offer a very broad range of functionality (that's at least
> > how i'm conceiving it), therefore i'd still stick to my argumentation
> > and not assume any default behaviour in that particular case.
>
> I am not sure I understand you correctly, but there is no default
> setting for this in the dialogue. By default the check is unchecked, and
> that results in nothing being done with the document property.

What i meant was that there's no common functionality among "Tools",
unlike among formatting commands.

Rethinking the whole discussion there might be a completely different
way to solve the problem.
- Document language is a global property and should therefore be in
  "File -> Set Language"
- Lang as a paragraph property could go in a seperate notebook in
  "Format -> Paragraph". The question here is how the paragraph-dlg
handles multiple
  selected paragraphs. It would of course be nice to select x paragraphs
and apply a
  common language then.
  I'm also somewhat inclined to see "Format -> Set Language" working but
i think
  it's not such a sommon function to expose it there.
The more i think about that the more i like it, it'd be conceptionally
clean IMO.

Thanks,
- Rob