Re: Commit (HEAD): 8996, extension override for command line conversions

From: Tomas Frydrych <tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 15:05:48 CEST

Hi Sum1,

> Just to clarify, I didn't approve the patch; I just committed it as a
> favor.

I know; it was not meant to be personal.

> I do, however, find it strange that this commit got singled out
> when there's been recent talk about merging Maemo code into the tree,
> talk about adding an AbiWidget peer -- not to mention the AbiWidget work
> itself -- GTK toolbar changes, main menu customization work, added
> support for autopackage, etc. all after feature freeze.
>
> I realize that some of those (proposed) changes are fairly
> self-contained, but all are enhancements and therefore probably should
> not have been committed after mid-April.

Quite so and it either needs to stop or the tree should be reopened and
someone come up with a new timetable. The problem is that not every
seems to grasp the significance of feature freeze in the release cycle,
as if it was an unnecessary evil that can be quietly ignored or worked
around. Either we are just hacking for personal individual pleasure, or
we are collectively developing an application for the world out there; I
was hoping we were doing the latter but I am not sure everyone sees it
that way -- am I actually the only person who wants to see 2.4 released
soon? Because if I am, I better stop wasting my time.

> ... but if a revert is truly desired, I'll take care of it.

No, I am not suggesting you revert it. We will do should it cause problems.

Tomas