Re: Abiword in Maemo plataform

From: Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere_at_teaser.fr>
Date: Fri Jun 17 2005 - 19:59:53 CEST

Robert Staudinger wrote:

> I don't want to be the whiner but ...
>
> The patch contains quite a big number of #ifdefs. I think that's not
> such a big problem in the UnixDialog classes (they are rather
> isolated) but the App, Menu, Frame and Toolbar stuff is much more at
> the core of the software. E.g. the application class structure has
> been split into App and AppImpl in the past (i think by Will
> Lachance). From only quickly looking over the patch it seems quite
> suited to leverage this "engineered" design, rather than resort to
> #ifdefs all over the place. In short, what do people think about
> implementing the hildon stuff using an own AppImpl and eventually
> FrameImpl?

The problem is that it is a variant of the Gtk platform. Lot of stuff is
done the same way, and it does not make sense to split that off.

There are actually 2 issues for that port, that gets addressed in the
patch.
One that is at XP level and that involve reducing the screen estate
because we are on a small device.
The other is to port to hildon, which is a superset of Gtk.

> Also i would like to vote against committing to CVS HEAD at this
> point. If we trust ourselves only a bit 2.4 is not more than a few
> weeks off with only bugfixes until there. So the patch will most
> likely still apply after the release. Otherwise does "freeze" still
> have a meaning when committing a > 5000 lines patch? With regards to
> marketing AbiWord 2.4 as "maemo compatible", do we really want to risk
> stability for marketing purposes or the marginal work of merging the
> branches later? I don't think it's worth it because the hildon port is
> available anyways and our main target group has been desktop users so
> far.

The patch I have seen does not impact AbiWord enough, as it is pretty
safe. I'm all for having AbiWord 2.4 ready for Maemo.

Tomas has agreed on committing it, he is the master of the keys for this
release.

Hub