Re: Abiword in Maemo plataform

From: Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jun 17 2005 - 11:15:51 CEST

On 6/17/05, Tomas Frydrych <tomasfrydrych@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> This is a very nice and clean patch; there are, however, two things I
> would like to be changed before this is committed:
>
> ap_Prefs_SchemesIds.h: there should no preference keys defined
> conditionally; it is OK to define preference values conditionally, but
> the hildon-specific keys should be just added unconditionaly, so that we
> have a consistent set of keys across the platforms (if I am not mistaken
> AP_PREF_KEY_SimpleBarVisible is defined conditionally).
>
> ap_Strings_Id.h: similar as above; hildon specifi strings should be just
> added unconditionally, so that the string set is consistent.

I don't want to be the whiner but ...

The patch contains quite a big number of #ifdefs. I think that's not
such a big problem in the UnixDialog classes (they are rather
isolated) but the App, Menu, Frame and Toolbar stuff is much more at
the core of the software. E.g. the application class structure has
been split into App and AppImpl in the past (i think by Will
Lachance). From only quickly looking over the patch it seems quite
suited to leverage this "engineered" design, rather than resort to
#ifdefs all over the place. In short, what do people think about
implementing the hildon stuff using an own AppImpl and eventually
FrameImpl?

Also i would like to vote against committing to CVS HEAD at this
point. If we trust ourselves only a bit 2.4 is not more than a few
weeks off with only bugfixes until there. So the patch will most
likely still apply after the release. Otherwise does "freeze" still
have a meaning when committing a > 5000 lines patch? With regards to
marketing AbiWord 2.4 as "maemo compatible", do we really want to risk
stability for marketing purposes or the marginal work of merging the
branches later? I don't think it's worth it because the hildon port is
available anyways and our main target group has been desktop users so
far.

That said i would like to thank all the people who made the port
possible and hope this issues can be sorted out to everyone's
satisfaction.

Best regards,
- Rob