Re: Patch (ENCHANT): Autopackage support

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 14:30:12 CET

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Petr Tomasek wrote:

> Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:23:13 +0100
> From: Petr Tomasek <tomasek@etf.cuni.cz>
> To: abiword-dev@abisource.com
> Subject: Re: Patch (ENCHANT): Autopackage support
>

> On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 12:53:19PM +0100, Robert Staudinger wrote:

> > > I hope, this doesn't mean, that abiword will not be
> > > available as normal packages (rpm's, deb's).. :-o
> >
> > Every linux, bsd or whatever distribution is of course free to ship
> > abiword and related packages in their own package format.
> >
> > - Rob
>
> But this would mean, that it will not be available from the official
> abiword site and not be oficially supported, and will be delayed
> after the official release.
>
> Well, I think, that the idea of autopackage is crapy, since
> it just trashes the system instead of doing thinks in a clean
> way like the native packaging system does.

This really isn't the place to complain about Autopackage.
Rob has done some great work that provides the developers another option
of how to package Abiword. If autopackage lives up to its promise it will
allow the Abiword developers the option of creating less distribution
specific packages but if people still wish to create native packages
they still can.

I'm looking forward to a package system that will allow me as a non
priviledge users to install software to my user directory without needing
to build it from scratch, something most of the current package systems
dont seem to allow but that autopackage has promised.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape, Draw Freely http://inkscape.org
Abiword is Awesome http://www.abisource.com