Re: commit: abi (BOTH): CocoaAbi menu of font names in own fonts

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 20:23:07 CEST

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:07:37 -0800 (PST)
> From: Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz@yahoo.com>
> To: AbiWord-Dev <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
> Subject: Re: commit: abi (BOTH): CocoaAbi menu of font names in own fonts
>

> > I second this _very_ strongly. Our UIs are starting
> > to look like forks.
>
> I disagree at least equally strongly. I don't see why
> this is a bad idea - in fact, I only see this as a
> good thing.

If the best of these ideas get brought into XP it might work out allright
in the end.

> On MacOSX, we behave like people expect a Mac WP to
> behave. On Linux, we want to do things in a more
> HIG-like manner. On Windows, maybe we should strive to
> look like Word does.

No one here is arguing against mostly following the respective Human
Interface Guidelines for each platform.

We already dont look exactly like Microsoft Word as we usually try to
improve when we copy, but then Microsoft Word looks less and less like
itself after each new release.

> This is a *good* thing. It's more important to meet
> our users' expectations than it is to stay entirely
> consistent across our platforms.

How far do you want to go? How consistent do you want to keep Abiword
across the various platforms? I dont think any of us are saying it isn't
worthwhile to make small changes here and there (open source allows it
makes sense to accomdate those who will inevitably make such changes) but
I think there is a difference of opinion on what constitutes a small
change and concerns about long term changes.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/