Re: ambitions of Abi-word / remarks ABIword

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 22:48:33 CET

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, [UTF-8] Daniel d'Andrada Tenório de Carvalho wrote:

> Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:21:56 -0300
> From: "[UTF-8] Daniel d'Andrada Tenório de Carvalho"
> <daniel.carvalho@indt.org.br>
> Cc: abiword-dev@abisource.com
> Subject: Re: ambitions of Abi-word / remarks ABIword
>
> Hi everyone!

> I know that I'm just writing a plugin filter for a file format that most
> abi developers are not very fond of but I want to be proud of having
> done it for "that really ingenious word processor called AbiWord".

I know it may seem like Abiword developers are not fond of OpenDocument
but in truth I think the Abiword developers are counter acting some of the
over-enthusiasm and hype which surrounds the OpenDocument. The format has
not been proven or widely adopted (at least not as widely as RTF) and
doesn't yet give us much more than Rich Text Format but people are already
very optimistic it will. (The poor RTF support we had to put up with from
OpenOffice didn't help either but they have improved.)

I think we are all appreciate having you working to help improve Abiword
and we will be very glad to have support for the OpenDocument standard.

I hope others will chime in with their opinions and dispell any notions
that we do highly value your work.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org