Re: Frank vs. Hubert (was: Re: CVS: commit hub abi/src/wp/ap/cocoa ap_CocoaApp.mm)

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Sun Sep 04 2005 - 16:19:19 CEST

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, J.M. Maurer wrote:

> Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 21:57:04 +0200
> From: J.M. Maurer <j.m.maurer@student.utwente.nl>
> To: abiword-dev@abisource.com
> Subject: Re: Frank vs. Hubert (was: Re: CVS: commit hub
> abi/src/wp/ap/cocoa ap_CocoaApp.mm)
>

> On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 22:19 +0300, Omer Zak wrote:
> > Can the two esteemed AbiWord developers please move their shouting match
> > of personal criticism, insulting, bickering and complaining to personal
> > E-mail?
>
> The issues involved are rather important, and I think the wider
> community should be aware of the issues around the OSX port.
>
> I for example try to make sure that all new features work on all
> platforms for 2.4, and therefor want to hear about such issues.
>
> Now the OSX development has been rather closed from time to time given
> the lack of OSX developers, so it is good to communicate problems that
> arise there (although the wording could be chosen different, but so be
> it).

It is equally important when all is said and done to come to a clear
conclusion and metaphorically shake hands and make it clear to everyone -
including observers external to the arguement - that the issues have been
resolved and there are no hard feelings.

It is all too easy for people to get the wrong idea and think a situation
is worse than it really is. English is an imprecise language at the best
of times and not all of us speak it as a first language so we must
carefully consider our words or at least reconsider them later and make
sure things are properly resolved.

An Open Source community is a fragile thing and depends heavily on
goodwill. It would be terrible to lose the support of either Hub or Frank
and such fall out could easily sour the friendly atmosphere we have had
for a long time, which has knock effects of discouraging other
contributors. It also means less people saying nice things about Abiword
and word of mouth advertising is the best marketing we have.

I expect by now Hub and Frank have had a heated discussion on IRC and
worked something out and will soon let us all know how they have decided
to make progress.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com
Dia http://gnome.org/projects/dia/
Open Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org

> > after having been exposed to the much stronger stuff created during
> > the confrontation in my country between the pro-disengagement and
> > anti-disengagement camps.

granted there are more important things going on in the world and it is
important to keep things in perspective and make sure small arguement do
not turn into larger ones ...

> ... and I kindly ask you to keep political issues off this list :-)

... I hope we can at least keep to the politics of software development
trivial as it may be.

- Alan