(again) - cooperation with GNOME

From: Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 17:13:05 CEST

Hi,

the attempts to cooperate more closely with GNOME didn't really work
out in the 2.12 release cycle[1]. Major concerns have been:
    (1) We have our own CVS
    (2) We have our own Bugzilla
    (3) We have limited support for a11y
Maybe we could try again to step by step build up a closer relation
between the GNOME and AbiWord. So I propose that we discuss among the
AbiWord developers first and make proposals to the GNOME folks after
we agree on what we want.

IIRC the discussions on IRC we are not really ready to give up our own
server and move to GNOME CVS or bugzilla. So we'll likely have to work
out compromises between us and GNOME.

CVS
===
abi -> gnome: Maybe we could replicate our CVS repository to GNOME's
(the "abi" module would prolly do for now). The master repository
would certainly stay on blueant. There seem to be commercial CVS
replication solutions available, a quick check on google didn't reveal
anything open source.
Maybe it would be as simple as committing the diffs from the
cvs-commit mailing list by using a periodically invoked script.

gnome -> abi: We have the possibility to indicate in our HACKING file
that we won't accept commits without permission. This doesn't seem to
apply to translations however. We'd need a mailing list that's fueled
from the commits into the gnome repository so we know what's going on.

I'd volunteer for taking care about cross-porting issues and
(merge-)conflicts that turn up.

Bugzilla
=======
Most likely we'd like to keep that too. GNOME seems to have a custom
start page / "simple bug assistant" (or is that just because they are
using a newer version?). It should be possible to create a fake
"abiword" bugzilla module, that forwards to our bugzilla page.

A11y
====
There is a bug filed already, we just need to hack it.

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2005-June/msg00016.html

What do you think?
Rob