Re: grammar checker in AbiWord

From: Martin Sevior <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 03:21:18 CEST

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 18:32 +0200, Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Saturday 17 September 2005 00:15, you wrote:
>
> > "link-grammar" as our grammar checking engine. We would love to get a
> > community of interested developers involved in expanding the
> > capabilities of link-grammar, so that other languages can be
> > grammar-checked, to imrpove it's speed and to make it possible to offer
> > suggestions.
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> thanks for your feedback.
>
> You might want to try my checker called LanguageTool
> (http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/). It finds only those errors
> which are explicitly coded as rules (not so many yet), but unlike link
> grammar it gives feedback on what exactly the problem is. I guess it's
> also easier to port to other languages as you don't need to write a
> complete grammar, just some error rules (either in XML or Java code).

Ah this is very interesting! Does it compile with gcj? Do you have or
plan to have an C/C++ API to access the functionality of your code?

I don't know Java but if it compiles with gcj and we can access it via
C/C++ API's we might be able to make use of it. I fully realise how hard
it will be to get link-grammar to offer suggestions.

PS. I'm CCing the abiword-list. The rest of the development team will be
very interested in this.