Re: grammar checker in AbiWord

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 15:24:02 CEST

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Martin Sevior wrote:

> Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:21:18 +1000
> From: Martin Sevior <msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au>
> To: Daniel Naber <naber@danielnaber.de>
> Cc: abiword-dev <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
> Subject: Re: grammar checker in AbiWord
>

> On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 18:32 +0200, Daniel Naber wrote:
> > On Saturday 17 September 2005 00:15, you wrote:
> >
> > > "link-grammar" as our grammar checking engine. We would love to get a
> > > community of interested developers involved in expanding the
> > > capabilities of link-grammar, so that other languages can be
> > > grammar-checked, to imrpove it's speed and to make it possible to offer
> > > suggestions.

LanguageTool is mentioned on the OpenOffice grammar page, something Dom
Lachowicz has previous linked to.
http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/grammar.html

> > You might want to try my checker called LanguageTool
> > (http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/). It finds only those errors
> > which are explicitly coded as rules (not so many yet), but unlike link
> > grammar it gives feedback on what exactly the problem is. I guess it's
> > also easier to port to other languages as you don't need to write a
> > complete grammar, just some error rules (either in XML or Java code).

The aforementoined page says Langauage Tool the was written in
Python but from the langauge tool website you can see it has since been
rewritten in Java.

What state is the original Python version in? (I ask because I know
Martin is familiar with Python.)

> > > By the way, did you know about AbiWord's Thearsarus?
> >
> > No, I just wanted to give it a try but there don't seem to be pre-compiled
> > plugins for the development version and I currently lack the time to
> > compile stuff myself.
> >
> > OpenOffice.org 2.0 will feature a WordNet-based thesaurus, i.e. it knows
> > there can be more than one meaning per word (see attached screenshot).
> > Such a thesaurus can easily be built, as there are APIs that access
> > WordNet (see for example the script at http://www.danielnaber.de/wn2ooo/).

Abiword includes several Web based tools and it would be relatively easy
to add one for WordNet. http://wordnet.princeton.edu/w3wn.html

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org