AbiWord 2.2.9: Autopackage, Plugins, HTML Plugin

From: Randy Kramer <rhkramer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 18:22:50 CEST

Tossing a coin, deciding whether to write to abiword-user (first) or go
directly to abiword-dev. ;-)

Just downloaded and installed abiword 2.2.9 via the autopackage route. Pretty
slick--took a little time over my dial-up line (had to download about 4 other
packages, iirc), but pretty slick!

I downloaded a new version because I didn't have the plugins for my old
version (2.1.9, iirc), so thought I'd just get a whole new package.

Problem 1: Plugins don't seem to come with the autopackage, or I don't know
where to look for/find them. (I did a locate on plugins (and before that,
locate abiword | grep plug).)

Problem 2: Clicking Tools --> Plugins --> Install New Plugins seems to be a
(roundabout) shortcut for File --> Quit ;-) Is this a known problem? If
not, I'll file a bug.

(Minor) Problem 3: The download page for 2.2.9
(http://www.abisource.com/downloads/abiword/2.2.9/Linux/Autopackage/abiword-2.2.9.x86.package)
doesn't mention anything about plugins at the Autopackage download box
(plugins are mentioned for most of the other downloads, like Windows, Fedora,
Red Hat, QNX, ...).

   * Am I missing something? Do you want a bug filed?

   * Where can/should I get the plugins for the AutoPackage? (BTW, I'm using
a Mandrake 10.0 system.) (In the meantime, I've found the package for
MandrivaLE05
(http://www.abisource.com/downloads/abiword/2.2.9/Linux/Mandriva/2005/RPMS/),
I'm downloading that and I'll see if it works--nope, not very well, it's
looking for 5 or 6 Mandrake 10.2 dependencies. Can I/must I compile from
source?)

Incidental Questions (while I'm writing): My main intent in looking for
plugins is to try out the HTML import feature.

   * Looking at the PluginMatrix (TWiki), I do see the HTML plugin as doing
both import and export--there's no mistake there (I mean, it does do both)?

   * I'm assuming that if it imports HTML text it then appears in what would
be called rendered form, you don't see HTML tags but you see the "result" of
those tags?

   * Can a CSS file be specified to control the appearance of the HTML?
Where should that be put and how would I specify it?

regards,
Randy Kramer