Re: AbiWord 2.2.9: Autopackage, Plugins, HTML Plugin

From: Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Sep 25 2005 - 12:31:13 CEST

On 9/23/05, Randy Kramer <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tossing a coin, deciding whether to write to abiword-user (first) or go
> directly to abiword-dev. ;-)
>
> Just downloaded and installed abiword 2.2.9 via the autopackage route. Pretty
> slick--took a little time over my dial-up line (had to download about 4 other
> packages, iirc), but pretty slick!
>
> I downloaded a new version because I didn't have the plugins for my old
> version (2.1.9, iirc), so thought I'd just get a whole new package.
>
> Problem 1: Plugins don't seem to come with the autopackage, or I don't know
> where to look for/find them. (I did a locate on plugins (and before that,
> locate abiword | grep plug).)

The 2.2.x seried autopackage doesn't ship any plugins. The upcoming
2.4 release will ship a few of the most polished ones.

> Problem 2: Clicking Tools --> Plugins --> Install New Plugins seems to be a
> (roundabout) shortcut for File --> Quit ;-) Is this a known problem? If
> not, I'll file a bug.

Please check with 2.3.99 (aka 2.4 beta) and file the bug if it's still there.

> (Minor) Problem 3: The download page for 2.2.9
> (http://www.abisource.com/downloads/abiword/2.2.9/Linux/Autopackage/abiword-2.2.9.x86.package)
> doesn't mention anything about plugins at the Autopackage download box
> (plugins are mentioned for most of the other downloads, like Windows, Fedora,
> Red Hat, QNX, ...).
>
> * Am I missing something? Do you want a bug filed?
>
> * Where can/should I get the plugins for the AutoPackage? (BTW, I'm using
> a Mandrake 10.0 system.) (In the meantime, I've found the package for
> MandrivaLE05
> (http://www.abisource.com/downloads/abiword/2.2.9/Linux/Mandriva/2005/RPMS/),
> I'm downloading that and I'll see if it works--nope, not very well, it's
> looking for 5 or 6 Mandrake 10.2 dependencies. Can I/must I compile from
> source?)
>
> Incidental Questions (while I'm writing): My main intent in looking for
> plugins is to try out the HTML import feature.
>
> * Looking at the PluginMatrix (TWiki), I do see the HTML plugin as doing
> both import and export--there's no mistake there (I mean, it does do both)?
>
> * I'm assuming that if it imports HTML text it then appears in what would
> be called rendered form, you don't see HTML tags but you see the "result" of
> those tags?

AbiWord contains a builtin xhtml importer. Dunno how it compares to
the importer plugin though.

> * Can a CSS file be specified to control the appearance of the HTML?
> Where should that be put and how would I specify it?

The importer is rather weak on css.

HTH,
Rob