Re: AbiWord 2.2.9: Autopackage, Plugins, HTML Plugin

From: Randy Kramer <rhkramer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Sep 25 2005 - 20:48:32 CEST

Thanks for the reply!

On Sunday 25 September 2005 06:31 am, Robert Staudinger wrote:
> On 9/23/05, Randy Kramer <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please check with 2.3.99 (aka 2.4 beta) and file the bug if it's still
> there.

Hmm:

    * Downloaded 2.3.99 (autopackage and installed it)--doesn't seem to
work--when I attempt to start abiword I briefly see the splash screen (must
be the new one for 2.4, as it looks different than the one I had yesterday),
but the splash screen closes and abiword never appears. No abiword in ps
-Al, either. Should I have deleted the old abiword first? I'll try that
now.

   * I perhaps should have mentioned (with respect to abiword closing when I
attempted to install plugins) that I have no plugins--maybe the problem only
occurs if no plugins exist.

> AbiWord contains a builtin xhtml importer. Dunno how it compares to
> the importer plugin though.

With whatever version of abiword I had (not sure if I tried it with 2.1.9 or
only the version of abiword that I had prior to installing 2.1.9), I loaded a
very short HTML file (10 lines) and the HTML tags were shown as syntax
highlighted syntax--that's not what I'd expect if the HTML were truly
imported (right?)

Aside: Also, yesterday, I loaded about a 2 MB plain text file and it took 20+
minutes, used 40% of my 384 MB of RAM (even after the load was complete),
used 75 to 95% of the CPU while loading (400 MHz Pentium something), and
continued to use 15 to 20% of the CPU after the load was complete (but abi
was otherwise idle). Is this to be expected? (This was with 2.1.9.)

Randy Kramer