Re: AbiWord on OLPC progress

From: Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jul 13 2006 - 18:49:05 CEST

On 7/13/06, Erik Pukinskis <erikpukinskis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Sorry I've been a bit quiet lately. I'm staying at my Uncle's place
> in a little town in NH and there's no internet, which is both a
> blessing and a curse. :) I apologize in advance if it takes me a day
> or two to reply again.
>
> I've been making some progress though. I've created a WordProcessor
> activity in Sugar, the OLPC shell, and managed to get AbiWord embedded
> in Sugar with GtkPlugs. Obligatory screenshot:
>
> http://flickr.com/photos/erikpukinskis/188773007/
>
> I have been playing with cutting down the interface (obviously there
> will be more than just a Bold button. :) But I have a few questions:
>
> 1) My current plan is to have a --enable-olpc command line option,
> which would both start up AbiWord in a GtkPlug instead of a window,
> and would signal the alternate interface. I figured out how to create
> a commpand line parameter, and get its value into a method in AP_Args,
> but I need to be able to access that object in, for example,
> XAP_UnixFrameImpl::_createTopLevelWindow. But the arguments don't get
> passed down that far. How should I get that information passed in?

While a runtime option is very nice for testing it is rather likely
that we'll need a configuration-time parameter in the future. That
would let us build a slim version and exclude all unneeded stuff (e.g.
dialogs). Look at how the hildon port does that, it also provides its
own frame impl iirc.

Also if you could make your tree available somewhere that would make
it easier for me to quickly help you with isolated stuff. An AbiWord
CVS branch would seem fit.

> I've also got a semi-formal document listing high-level requirements
> for AbiWord on OLPC:
>
> http://snowedin.net/ideas/AbiWord+on+OLPC+Requirements
>
> It'll be changing, but it's a start.

Great, you have a good number of interesting posts -- which makes it
hard to find out what's still hot and what not. Consolidating that
information into a canonical document will make it easier for people
to catch up and join in.

Cheers,
Rob