Re: Translation problem

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Thu May 04 2006 - 03:52:52 CEST

Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 May 2006 17:50, Renato Pavičić wrote:
>
>> I have greatest respect for programmers. They do something that I do not
>> know how to. But please, if I could have at least the same ammount of
>> _understanding_ !
>>

> I can totally relate. Abiword is a pain in the neck to build even if you are
> a programmer.

I don't know what platform you're using, but at least on Windows, I have
been working on documentation to make this easier. Producing the full
set of installers is as simple as following the instructions available
at http://abisource.com/~rp/ which should have been posted to the
developer's list sometime in the past.

In theory, once you have the dependencies installed, which are not
great, building AbiWord on Linux should be a simple ./configure, make,
make install. If you're talking about building on Mac OS X, well, then
yes, it is rather messy, so I've heard. :)
>> If anyone willing to help, please mail me, and I will send him/her the
>> latest string file. If not, I give up.
>>

> I have absolutely no free time in the next month, but if you don't get any
> takers by then, please let me know and I'll take care of it. Sorry you're
> having so many obstacles. :'(

The easiest way to contribute a translation is to attach whatever you've
produced to a bugzilla bug, then email the developer list pointing out
the bug number. The PO files are the ones you want to translate -
converting them to strings does require running a script or two that I
don't know how to do at the moment, but that is probably documented in
the developer list archives (google and add site:abisource.com ) or the
build tree somewhere.

Thanks for donating your time to AbiWord, and hopefully we can get your
contributions included successfully soon!

--
Ryan Pavlik
AbiWord Win32 Platform Maintainer