Re: Translation problem

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Thu May 04 2006 - 03:56:05 CEST

The problem with Rosetta is that it frequently results in a duplication
of effort, and it is very difficult to integrate existing translations
into the system. They also are not contributed upstream in a very
useable manner, or so I've heard. I have also inquired about this, and
this was the response I received. At the moment, the easiest way (and
really, the only recommended way) to localize AbiWord is to find a PO
editing program (this is a standard translation format) and edit these
files. Testing the translation requires running a script in the AbiWord
source tree to convert the PO file, which is translated, to the strings
files actually used by AbiWord during runtime.

Please use the PO files available from the AbiSource web site to
localize, rather than Launchpad/Rosetta. Thanks!

--
Ryan Pavlik
AbiWord Win32 Platform Maintainer