Re: Localization of Win Installer

From: <sum1_lists_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon May 15 2006 - 20:33:50 CEST

Martin Srebotnjak wrote:
> Now that I've completed the GUI translation into Slovenian, I have some
> questions regarding the Windows installer:
>
> 1. The installer finds out and starts with the OS language, in my case
> Slovenian. Which is great! But ... When it comes to the list of files to
> be installed, the Slovenian spell-checker is not checked to be installed
> - one must manually select it. Is there a way that the installer, that
> auto detects the OS default language would also by default select that
> language's spell checker in the install process?

I'm not sure how hard that would be to implement, but it definitely
sounds reasonable. Can you file an enhancement request under the
"Installer" product in Bugzilla, please?

> 2. Strings "Optional Downloadable Components Base URL", "Dictionaries"
> and "Select download mirror..." on the installer page for selecting the
> URL for dictionaries are all in English. Is there a localizable
> installer file that I have to translate?

In \abi\src\pkg\win\setup\NSISv2\lang, there's a file named English.nsh
that contains the AbiWord-specific installer strings. Using that as a
base, you can translate the strings into Slovenian.nsh, which is in the
same directory. If you don't have an AbiWord CVS tree, you can get them
  from ViewCVS:

http://www.abisource.com/viewcvs/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/abi/src/pkg/win/setup/NSISv2/lang/English.nsh
http://www.abisource.com/viewcvs/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/abi/src/pkg/win/setup/NSISv2/lang/Slovenian.nsh

> 3. When I overwrite previous installation, a pop-up pops up and asks in
> English, not Slovenian: "Overwrite Existing AbiWord?". The title of the
> window is translated into Slovenian, just the message body isn't. Is
> that a non-localizable string in AbiWord code or a string in the
> NullSoft installation, something like "Overwrite Existing %s?".

This string is defined in the English.nsh file mentioned above and can
be localized.

> 4. String "Install mode: Warning found %s" is in English; probably a
> string in NullSoft package?

I can't seem to find a mention of this string in either AbiWord or NSIS
(or Google). Is that the exact string?

> Some other remarks:
> AbiWord uses Windows system color picker, which is not a problem per se,
> but if you have English Windows OS, but a French AbiWord and are French,
> you would prefer to have the color picker in French, if it is a part of
> AbiWord. Is there a way to localize the color picker?

Sorry, not sure about this one.