Moving some plugins back into the main tree?

From: Dominic Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jan 04 2007 - 00:01:40 CET

Now that libgsf is a requirement and some of our import/export plugins
are getting both more popular and more robust (eg. OpenDocument), I
was wondering if we might consider moving some of the plugins back
into the main tree. I'm concerned that we're making life more
difficult for our users than it needs to be.

If we decide to do this, it can be done on a case-by-case basis. I'd
initially only suggest moving imp/exp plugins that:

*) Are fairly robust/mature
*) Don't have any external dependencies that AbiWord doesn't already have
*) And are commonly used

I think that this amounts to:

*) OpenDocument
*) DocBook
*) The Win32 native graphics plugin

with the possibility of:

*) WML
*) XSL-FO
*) OpenWriter
*) StarWriter

This can also be seen as a packaging issue. If (for example) the ODF
plugin was always distributed in the installers, I might not consider
this to be an issue. It wouldn't matter if it was a plugin or builtin,
so long as it was installed.

What do ya'll think?

-Dom

--
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums.