Re: How frozen? (Re: Patch: use std::string)

From: Tomas Frydrych <tf_at_o-hand.com>
Date: Thu Jan 18 2007 - 09:08:44 CET

Hi Dom,

Dominic Lachowicz wrote:

>> I suggest the following time table:
>
> Do you think that we have that far to go before AbiWord 2.6? Maybe I'm
> deluding myself, but my impression is that we're no more than maybe 1
> month of bug-fixing and testing away from it.
>
> -Dom (sorry for the re-post, Rob)

I agree with Sum1 that this is not realistic.

(a) we need some feedback on the AbiCollab stuff, which is the principal
new feature for the 2.6, and the Win/Mac UIs for it still need to be
created based on that feedback.

(b) we need some feedback on the Pango rendering from a non-Latin world.
(I am uneasy about the OLPC using the 2.5.0 in this regard, but that is
their choice.)

I think we need to make sure that both of these new features work well,
and are rock stable to avoid returning back to the 'AbiWord misbehaves
all the time' reputation that got in the 2.2 series and worked hard (and
successfully) to get rid of in the 2.4 cycle.

It would be nice to have 2.6 out for Guadec, and I feel that could be
just about realistic. I would like to suggest that from now on, we do at
least fortnightly 2.5.x releases, and let's see what comes back from that.

Tomas