Re: Plugin RFC

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Thu Apr 10 2008 - 18:43:35 CEST

J.M. Maurer wrote:
>> 1) Ship a set of useful, fairly polished plugins
>> and
>>

> agreed++
>

>> 2) Statically link that set in. Other plugins could still be shipped
>> in an "abiword plugins" package, and modularly loaded at runtime
>>

> For fedora, I already include all (useful) already in 1 package. At the
> moment I include them all as a shared lib, but statically building them
> wouldn't really make a difference to any end-user.

Agreeing here with Marc - I think the pressure is on me to get
everything into 1 installer on Windows for 2.8 but I'd still like to,
for instance, be able to disable math if I don't have the fonts or
grammar if my computer is slow. I just made ubuntu packages where all
plugins that didn't bring in lots of dependencies are in the main
package, with the same effect as in fedora.

>> We would need to define that set (or at least criteria for what counts
>> as "useful" and "polished"). Something like ODF would probably count.
>> Something like AbiGimp
>> probably doesn't count.
>>

> I was wondering how 'our' PortableApps version is created now. Do they
> take our binary, or do they compile it themselves. If they just take our
> version, then there might still be some interest in shipping a very
> light version as well (ie, like we currently do it).

Pretty sure they take our binary and install the plugins that are
included (just ODT IIRC). I know they support (and document) how to
install more plugins (using our installers) into the AbiWord Portable
directory.

--
Ryan Pavlik
www.cleardefinition.com