Re: WV and WV2

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Sat Apr 12 2008 - 01:14:31 CEST

Ryan Pavlik wrote:

> Hey folks! In my ongoing quest to get AbiWord 2.6 properly delivered
> to Ubuntonians world wide, I needed to file a request to get libwv
> (1.2) promoted to a "main" supported status. This brought up the fact
> that the (old, unmaintained) wv2 is already in main, leading to an
> apparent duplication of features.
>
> However, only kword uses wv2 - does anyone have information we might
> be able to provide to them to help them migrate to a maintained
> library and make life easier for me (in talking with ubuntu) and
> ubuntu (in justifying having two libs named wv in main)?
>
> For that matter, if someone would like to make a statement supporting
> why libwv-1.2 deserves to be included in main, that would be great. I
> thought that this one would be easy, since we used to just pitch it in
> the source tarball and not doing so is nicer to distributions, but it
> seems almost harder so far.
>
> Ryan

BTW, for what it's worth, here's what's already been said:

AbiWord 2.6 update bug (seems to be good, just waiting for the libwv
mir, look at the bottom for my discussion of the libwv issue)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/abiword/+bug/202174

libwv MIR bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wv/+bug/215209

libwv MIR itself (the R stands for Report)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MainInclusionReportLibwv-1%2e2

Info on the MIR process:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MainInclusionProcess

--