Re: Some update on xsltml -- gsoc08latex

From: Xun Sun <xun.sun.cn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 15:28:32 CEST

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 8:32 PM, J.M. Maurer <uwog@uwog.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 00:34 +0800, Xun Sun wrote:
>> Hi Marc and list,
>
> First of all, sorry for this insane late reply. I've been extremely
> busy, but things should be calm from now on.

No problem. You don't have summer holiday after all :P

>> Part of my gsoc project is to add the ability to convert mathml
>> equtions to latex ones in the latex exporter. As discussed on the irc,
>> using xslt stylesheets is a reasonable way to go. These days I have
>> been investigating xsltml [1], a suite of xsl templates for
>> transforming mathml to latex. I tried the cvs HEAD version. Here is
>> some brief update:
>>

>> The total size of these stylesheets is less than 300kB. It is not
>> licensed, so there is no license issues.
>>
>> It seems promising to me, but I still want to hear your thoughts since
>> I am not experienced in this area. So any feedback is welcome :)
>
> Excellent, this sounds like a perfectly workable solution: 1) it will
> give pretty good results from the looks of your research 2) this
> approach will actually be easily distributable (ie, it doesn't require
> weird dependencies).
>
> One question though: "no license", what does that mean? Is it perhaps
> public domain? _no_ license scares me :)

Sorry it's my misread, clearly I did not know what an MIT license
looks like. So it is released under the MIT license, with the
following addendum:
"
Any stylesheet derived from this Software that is publically
distributed will be identified with a different name and the
version strings in any derived Software will be changed so that
no possibility of confusion between the derived package and this
Software will exist.
"

Since I don't expect to make substantial changes to the stylesheet, it
should not qualify for a derived work, right?

--
Thanks & regards
Xun Sun