Using Enchant in LyX

From: Abdelrazak Younes <younes_at_lyx.org>
Date: Wed Jun 04 2008 - 10:40:28 CEST

Hello,

I am visiting this list for the first time and I must say that I am
impressed by the activity. Nothing like LyX but still ;-)

I am (maybe, not sure) going to rewrite the spellcheck support of LyX
and Enchant would be my preferred choice. But I am a bit reluctant
because of the glib dependency. On Linux this should not be a problem as
the required version is old enough (even recent Qt versions require glib
on Linux) but on Windows this means that we'll have to compile glib and
Enchant. Unless you offer binary packages for Enchant and glib of
course, but I couldn't find any.

So, my questions are:
- Is there any binary package for Enchant? I mean one that contains
pre-compiled dlls (including glib) and the headers for development.
- If yes, which compiler did you use (we use MSVC2008 express)?
- If no, this means that I'll have to use the source but I can't find a
stable branch in the Enchant repository. Does this mean that I should
just use the 1.4.2 source package? Or is svn trunk considered stable?
- If no, are the MSVC projects in enchant/trunk/msvc the one to use?
- last but not least: would you consider moving away from glib and use
equivalent C++ feature instead? If yes, I guess I could help a bit.

I must say I am a bit reluctant to do the compilation myself as this is
going to mean a glib headache apparently. We already compile iconv and
intl ourselves but glib looks like a beast :-) I may be wrong...

Thanks in advance for any help.
Abdel.