Re: Using Enchant in LyX

From: Dominic Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jun 04 2008 - 16:48:30 CEST

> - last but not least: would you consider moving away from glib and use
> equivalent C++ feature instead? If yes, I guess I could help a bit.

On Enchant's web page, I mention that the Glib dependency is a
pragmatic one and that I'd be amenable to someone replacing it if they
were really scared of it.

That said:

1) Enchant uses a lot more than the "equivalent C++ features" of Glib
(character set conversion, DLL loading, path manipulation,
unicode-aware filename handling, ...)
2) Glib is maintained, portable, a growing dependency for lots of
things (like Qt), and has pre-compiled packages for the major
platforms (any Linux distro does it themselves; Fink on OSX; and GTK+
provides packages for Win32)
3) Everything "just works" right now. I'm hesitant to introduce
potentially destabilizing changes in the name of removing a single
dependency.

> I must say I am a bit reluctant to do the compilation myself as this is
> going to mean a glib headache apparently. We already compile iconv and intl
> ourselves but glib looks like a beast :-) I may be wrong...

The GTK+ Win32 packages have Glib DLLs. They work great.

Also, recent versions of Glib have lost their iconv dependency while
preserving the functionality. They implement the iconv APIs in terms
of builtin Win32 WideChar APIs.

Cheers,
Dom