Re: Using Enchant in LyX

From: Eric Albright <eric_albright_at_sil.org>
Date: Thu Jun 05 2008 - 04:06:51 CEST

Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am visiting this list for the first time and I must say that I am
> impressed by the activity. Nothing like LyX but still ;-)
>
> I am (maybe, not sure) going to rewrite the spellcheck support of LyX
> and Enchant would be my preferred choice. But I am a bit reluctant
> because of the glib dependency. On Linux this should not be a problem
> as the required version is old enough (even recent Qt versions require
> glib on Linux) but on Windows this means that we'll have to compile
> glib and Enchant. Unless you offer binary packages for Enchant and
> glib of course, but I couldn't find any.
I build Enchant using MSVC 2005. My notes on doing so are at
enchant/msvc/Build.win32.readme. The hardest part is getting a version
of glib as you mention. I have checked in the lib directory that I use
at: http://spellcore.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/enchant/lib (this includes
the glib 2005 lib files)
> So, my questions are:
> - Is there any binary package for Enchant? I mean one that contains
> pre-compiled dlls (including glib) and the headers for development.
I have made the MSVC2005 binaries (including libenchant.lib) available
at http://spellcore.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/enchant/bin (these
represent trunk). These use msvcr80 as the c runtime instead of msvcrt.
> - If yes, which compiler did you use (we use MSVC2008 express)?
MSVC2005, I'm open to moving to MSVC2008.
> - If no, this means that I'll have to use the source but I can't find
> a stable branch in the Enchant repository. Does this mean that I
> should just use the 1.4.2 source package? Or is svn trunk considered
> stable?
Trunk is stable (you should use trunk if you want to use the ispell
provider on Windows otherwise you would be fine with 1.4.2 -- the only
other changes to date are to tests)
> - If no, are the MSVC projects in enchant/trunk/msvc the one to use?
If you are building using MSVC yes. If you are using MinGW no.
> - last but not least: would you consider moving away from glib and use
> equivalent C++ feature instead? If yes, I guess I could help a bit.
>
> I must say I am a bit reluctant to do the compilation myself as this
> is going to mean a glib headache apparently. We already compile iconv
> and intl ourselves but glib looks like a beast :-) I may be wrong...
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Abdel.

Hope that helps. If you have any problems getting it to work, feel free
to write me.

Eric