Re: Using Enchant in LyX

From: Abdelrazak Younes <younes_at_lyx.org>
Date: Sun Jun 15 2008 - 11:48:40 CEST

Eric Albright wrote:

Dear Eric,

I am not sure I answered that and I can't find a trace of it so... sorry
for the late answer.

> Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am visiting this list for the first time and I must say that I am
>> impressed by the activity. Nothing like LyX but still ;-)
>>
>> I am (maybe, not sure) going to rewrite the spellcheck support of LyX
>> and Enchant would be my preferred choice. But I am a bit reluctant
>> because of the glib dependency. On Linux this should not be a problem
>> as the required version is old enough (even recent Qt versions
>> require glib on Linux) but on Windows this means that we'll have to
>> compile glib and Enchant. Unless you offer binary packages for
>> Enchant and glib of course, but I couldn't find any.
> I build Enchant using MSVC 2005. My notes on doing so are at
> enchant/msvc/Build.win32.readme. The hardest part is getting a version
> of glib as you mention. I have checked in the lib directory that I use
> at: http://spellcore.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/enchant/lib (this
> includes the glib 2005 lib files)

Thanks! I'll try to use that.

>> So, my questions are:
>> - Is there any binary package for Enchant? I mean one that contains
>> pre-compiled dlls (including glib) and the headers for development.
> I have made the MSVC2005 binaries (including libenchant.lib) available
> at http://spellcore.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/enchant/bin (these
> represent trunk). These use msvcr80 as the c runtime instead of msvcrt.

Good.

>> - If yes, which compiler did you use (we use MSVC2008 express)?
> MSVC2005, I'm open to moving to MSVC2008.

That would be nice. But don't do it for me, do it only if you plan to
switch to it globally for Abiword too. The advantage of using MSVC2008
comared to MSVC2005 is that it does not require to also download and
install the SDK; everything is already setup for proper use. This means
that the barrier to entry is a bit lower for the wannabe Enchant
contributor ;-)

>> - If no, this means that I'll have to use the source but I can't find
>> a stable branch in the Enchant repository. Does this mean that I
>> should just use the 1.4.2 source package? Or is svn trunk considered
>> stable?
> Trunk is stable (you should use trunk if you want to use the ispell
> provider on Windows otherwise you would be fine with 1.4.2 -- the only
> other changes to date are to tests)

I'll use trunk then.

>> - If no, are the MSVC projects in enchant/trunk/msvc the one to use?
> If you are building using MSVC yes. If you are using MinGW no.

Of course :-)

>> - last but not least: would you consider moving away from glib and
>> use equivalent C++ feature instead? If yes, I guess I could help a bit.
>>
>> I must say I am a bit reluctant to do the compilation myself as this
>> is going to mean a glib headache apparently. We already compile iconv
>> and intl ourselves but glib looks like a beast :-) I may be wrong...
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>> Abdel.
>>

> Hope that helps. If you have any problems getting it to work, feel
> free to write me.

I still plan to work on it, but I still haven't found the time :-(
I'll keep you informed in any case.

Thanks for your help,
Abdel.