Re: Serious bug in 2.6 PangoGraphics

From: Tomas Frydrych <tf_at_o-hand.com>
Date: Fri Jun 20 2008 - 10:10:30 CEST

Robert Staudinger wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 2:29 AM, Martin Sevior <msevior@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Hi Tomas,
>> Yes this will use more more memory. At least 24 bytes
>> per glyph as you say. The benchmark as to whether Rob succeeds will be
>> whether he can avoid bugs 11664 and 11668 without the 1440 dpi
>> reference font.
>
> i am not convinced this is an appropriate metric, as the point has
> been raised that the problem might be rooted in how zoom is handled in
> the layout classes.

These are two separate issues. There is the hinting problem, and the way
the zoom works. The reference 1440 font is, I think, the right solution
to avoid the hinting problems. That it fixes the zoom problem is most
likely a fortunate side-effect due to the fact that the larger metric is
less affected by rounding errors; I was just wondering if there might be
some way to use the reference font without having to keep two glyph
strings around, but probably not.

Tomas