Re: gsoc08 progress week 1

From: Randy Kramer <rhkramer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri May 30 2008 - 15:17:39 CEST

On Friday 30 May 2008 08:36 am, Robert Staudinger wrote:
> please find attached my visual status report after the first week of
> working on the project.
>
> http://www.abisource.com/~robsta/gsoc08/02-abiword-win32.png

Rob,

I really don't know what your project(s?) is intended to do, but if it is to
make an improved "about" popup, I have a pet peeve on that subject.

Why doesn't the about popup for a piece of software at the very least say what
the application is ("abiWord is a word processor") and either provide a brief
explanation of what a word processor is, or provide a link or something to a
description.

Maybe not terribly relevant to abiword (at least for most of us), because I
think most people know (or will recognize) that abiword is a word
processor--ahh, but wait, what about those just starting to get exposed to
computers, for example, via the OLPC project?

There are a fair number of applications (not abiWord) that I've started and
then tried to use the "about" popup to find out what it was (because it
wasn't obvious to me), and there was nothing there to help me.

Randy Kramer