Re: Help with Write Activity

From: Martin Sevior <msevior_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Nov 24 2010 - 00:21:13 CET

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 6:03 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo@laptop.org> wrote:

> Hello, i am working with the a group in OLPC helping to maintain the
> activities we included in the XO machines.
> The Write activity is based in the python bindings of abiword and is
> very important for us. (And we have 1.850.000 children using it!)
> I must keep this mail short (like uwog tell me), but the main
> developers are very busy and I am looking for help, anybody
> interested?.
>
> I have compiled the pending tickets in dev.laptop.org and
> bugs.sugarlabs.org and classified them,
> the list is here
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0As_jQJX0Me6XdE5ZcnQwM0hzUlpEWDNRbGJST3NsdHc&hl=es&authkey=CI2JwqQK
>
> There are many tickets i think can be closed, can anybody confirm it?
>
> 1) Tickets about abiword don't handling image formats:
> #1442   non-PNG image support for Abiword (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/1442)
> #2339   Pasted image becomes huge in Write (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/2339)
> #4923   Image dropped from Etoys to Write becomes huge
> (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4923)

These should all be fixed if you move to abiword-2.8. In version 2.8
we have native jpeg support which fixes all these bugs.

> 2) Tickets what could be related to old interface
> #1043   "Right-to-left dominant" doesn't work (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/1043)
> #1798   Help buttons in Write activity are broken
> (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/1798)
> #3913   Format popup should have dividers (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3913)
> #1799   Closing the Tabs window in Write switches to Home view
> (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/1799)

Sorry these are Write specific. I'll have to rebuild a sugar
environment to test this.

> 3) Tickets IMHO can be closed
> #3316   AbiWord view at 100% should fill the screen
> (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3316)

Hmm not sure about this. If you have a bigger screen you'd expect to
be filled at larger zoom.

> #3220   Write's 'view' tab size control demands excessive horizontal
> scrolling (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3220)

Sorry I'd need to build Write to check what the issue is here.

> #3614   Browser didn't start, but icon flashed for a long time.
> (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3614)

OK this is a bug we should look into. Looks like an integration bug in
sugar. What is executable name of the "browse" activity?

> #702    Can't open web site in AbiWord (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/702)

OK this is a bug we should look into. Looks like an integration bug in
sugar. What is executable name of the "browse" activity?

> #3615   In Write, Alt-C doesn't work while the 'Insert Image' pulldown
> is present. (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3615)

This is because "insert image" is modal dialog and blocks input until
it is completed. Not sure if this isa bug you want to fix or not.

> #8231   Write crashes on 'Keep' (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8231)

My guess is that somehow this document has got corrupted causing a
crash on save. The document must be very corrupt though.

> #4690   Asserting when launching Write in jhbuild
> (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4690)

This bug looks like it was caused because the Belgian translation was
not shipped with Write.