Re: Help with Write Activity

From: J.M. Maurer <uwog_at_uwog.net>
Date: Wed Nov 24 2010 - 00:25:48 CET

Hi Gonzalo!

> The Write activity is based in the python bindings of abiword and is
> very important for us. (And we have 1.850.000 children using it!)

Nice, that many already!

> I have compiled the pending tickets in dev.laptop.org and
> bugs.sugarlabs.org and classified them,
> the list is here
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0As_jQJX0Me6XdE5ZcnQwM0hzUlpEWDNRbGJST3NsdHc&hl=es&authkey=CI2JwqQK
>
> There are many tickets i think can be closed, can anybody confirm it?
>
> 1) Tickets about abiword don't handling image formats:
> #1442 non-PNG image support for Abiword (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/1442)

We implemented JPEG support in addition to PNG support in AbiWord 2.8,
so this one can be closed.

> #2339 Pasted image becomes huge in Write (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/2339)

Someone should retest this, but I don't think it is fixed.

> #4923 Image dropped from Etoys to Write becomes huge
> (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4923)

Looks like a dupe of #2339?

> 2) Tickets what could be related to old interface
> #1043 "Right-to-left dominant" doesn't work (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/1043)
> #1798 Help buttons in Write activity are broken
> (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/1798)

Both are related to the "old" (non-Python) interface, and can thus be
closed.

> #3913 Format popup should have dividers (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3913)

Not 100% sure what the "Format Popup" means, but I think this is the
combobox in the python toolbar. If it is, then this would be a trivial
fix.

> #1799 Closing the Tabs window in Write switches to Home view
> (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/1799)

This is related to the old interface, and can thus be closed (and in
addition to that, I think we also fixed this bug in AbiWord's 'native'
interface as well).

> 3) Tickets IMHO can be closed
> #3316 AbiWord view at 100% should fill the screen
> (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3316)

IMO it should be closed, as it is not really a bug as I explain in the
report.

> #3220 Write's 'view' tab size control demands excessive horizontal
> scrolling (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3220)

We do have a sortof working "web layout" these days (like requested in
the comment by ssb22), but I'd advise against switching to it without a
lot of testing.

> #3614 Browser didn't start, but icon flashed for a long time.
> (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3614)

Someone should retest this, but it does not sound like a Write/AbiWord
bug. My guess would be a Journal bug back then.

> #702 Can't open web site in AbiWord (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/702)

AbiWord has a bunch of logic in it to determine which browser to open
when a linked is clicked. I'm not sure what the exact algorithm is
again, but it should be trivial to grep for in our code. Setting the
BROWSER environment variable was at least 1 option if I recall
correctly.

> #3615 In Write, Alt-C doesn't work while the 'Insert Image' pulldown
> is present. (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3615)

What is ALT-C even supposed to do? (I don't have an OLPC environment
running at the moment to test).

> #8231 Write crashes on 'Keep' (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8231)

This one does not sound like a Write issue. I'd suggest changing the
target to Journal, or closing it.

> #4690 Asserting when launching Write in jhbuild
> (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4690)

As my last comment states in the report: "Fixed in jhbuild". So this one
can be closed.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, and thanks a ton for maintaining Write!

  Marc