Re: Abiword Unicode build on Windows

From: J.M. Maurer <uwog_at_uwog.net>
Date: Tue Oct 12 2010 - 17:58:53 CEST

Hi Dominique!

> My name is Dominique and I am working with ANAFA in Senegal, Africa.
> We are translating Abiword into some local african languages in order to
> teach neo literates to use a computer.

Excellent!

> We are facing the problem that the special unicode characters of our
> languages are not displayed properly in the Abiword interface on
> Windows, and we've been told that is because Abiword on Windows is not a
> unicode build.

This is the current situation: AbiWord 2.8.x and everything before it,
is indeed not a Unicode build.

A few months ago we merged all Pradeeban's Unicode work into what will
become AbiWord 2.9.0. This will be a development release.

> I wanted to know if the project is still alive.

Yes, everything is merged into abiword's mainline.

> How much work has to be done to achieve the goal of the project?
> I would probably be interested to contribute to make this happen.

The unicode port is not complete yet. In practice this means you will
see some dialogs that show "corrupt" strings. We maintain a list of
things that still need to be done here:

  http://abisource.com/wiki/Windows_Unicode_Port

My guess is that with a few weeks of volunteer work this could be fixed.
But this implies someone needs to actually spend time on it :)

We hope to release AbiWord 2.9.0 really soon, even in its incomplete
state, so that people can start playing with it.

Cheers!
  Marc