Re: Abiword Unicode build on Windows

From: Kathiravelu Pradeeban <kk.pradeeban_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Oct 12 2010 - 19:46:55 CEST

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:28 PM, J.M. Maurer <uwog@uwog.net> wrote:

> Hi Dominique!
>
> > My name is Dominique and I am working with ANAFA in Senegal, Africa.
> > We are translating Abiword into some local african languages in order to
> > teach neo literates to use a computer.
>
> Excellent!
>
> > We are facing the problem that the special unicode characters of our
> > languages are not displayed properly in the Abiword interface on
> > Windows, and we've been told that is because Abiword on Windows is not a
> > unicode build.
>
> This is the current situation: AbiWord 2.8.x and everything before it,
> is indeed not a Unicode build.
>
> A few months ago we merged all Pradeeban's Unicode work into what will
> become AbiWord 2.9.0. This will be a development release.
>
> > I wanted to know if the project is still alive.
>
> Yes, everything is merged into abiword's mainline.
>
> > How much work has to be done to achieve the goal of the project?
> > I would probably be interested to contribute to make this happen.

great!
I am glad that you are interested in contributing, and some new hands
will surely motivate and accelerate the development effort on this. I
hope to start working on this over the weekends, to fix the remaining
significant bugs before the next release. In the meantime, please do
drop me a line here or ping over the irc (#abiword at irc.gnome.org),
if you need more information or any assistance on this.

Thank you.
Regards,
Pradeeban.

--