Re: GSOC project : "Add a testing framework "

From: Kathiravelu Pradeeban <kk.pradeeban_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 25 2011 - 03:43:55 CET

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 4:20 AM, RISHABH SINGHAL
<rinkusinghal05@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!

Hi,

> I’m computer science student from India. I’m considering applying for
> GSoC this year. I have good knowledge of C and C++. Till now I worked
> mostly on my own small projects and I think that GSoC is brilliant
> opportunity to start working on  open source project.

Excellent!

> I’m interested in "Add a testing framework " project.
> I want to propose the use of Boost Test as testing framework.

+1.
You may also justify why do you prefer Boost Test over the other test
frameworks proposed in [1], with your findings for the benefit of the
list.

> I would like to know the limitation of current testing framework
> and is there any particular result expected at the end of project.

Currently I would say the existing testing functionality is
preliminary. We would need a functional/regression test suite.

Your test suite should work in multiple platforms. To begin with, you
can focus on windows and linux.

> Also, is there any documentation or on line information about current
> test suite?

Pls go through [2] for the code base of abiword's current test suite.

> Any other activity which can help me get a better idea?

You can also hang in the irc. [3] shows the results of a testsuite of
AbiWord, which is not maintained any more for a long time, as you can
see.

[1] http://www.abisource.com/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2011#Add_a_testing_framework
[2] http://svn.abisource.com/abiword-testsuite/trunk/
[3] http://testsuite.abisource.com/