Re: Unhappy about tools and update policy

From: Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér <mjjzf_at_syntaktisk.dk>
Date: Sat May 28 2011 - 23:24:45 CEST

On Fri, 27 May 2011 21:10:41 +0200
Pjotr <pliniusminor@gmail.com> wrote:

> First the tools. I feel that, as a translation volunteer, I *really*
> should have better tools to do the job. Meaning fine tools like
> Transifex or Pootle, which are quite common in open source
> translations.

While I respect your opinions on this, I do have an opinion -
I have done quite a lot of translation into Danish. I have done a
considerable part of the translation of CiviCRM in Transifex, just
finished wxBanker on Launchpad, I worked on Pootle - I believe it was
Xfce using a Pootle installation at the time?
On the other hand, the offline resources - I translated Abiword and
Kimai on poEdit and use it now for the challenging, to say the least,
task of bringing the Gnucash translation up to speed. I also worked
with QT Linguist, which is usable, but not great.

Never, and I mean never, have I felt the workflow of the online tools
to be better than poEdit. I have to mouse, or tab-tab-tab-tab between
terms and translation in the webforms, whereas in poEdit that is one
tab away. This may seem silly, but if you hammer out 300 strings in a
row, you need something that will keep you in the flow.
If I was to mention one particular thing that is beneficial, it is the
fact that Launchpad picks up translations of standard terms from other
projects, so you will get suggestions for terms like copy, paste,
preferences and the like. This makes standard phrases easier and more
consistently translated. It also means even more mousework when you are
in the form!

Obviously, with these online-managed projects it is also possible to
download the .po file for local work with your editor of choice, so it
leaves several approaches open. Not relevant to Abiword, but -
Launchpad also offers code management, so it allows for direct
integration of translations, which is handy.

All in all, you see my point. Simply putting out the files makes it
easier to find the tool right for you, and makes less work for the devs
for keeping an extra system running and integrated with the code.
Just my thoughts.

Sincerely,
Morten