Re: Unhappy about tools and update policy

From: Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér <mjjzf_at_syntaktisk.dk>
Date: Sat May 28 2011 - 23:54:45 CEST

On Sat, 28 May 2011 23:44:42 +0200
Pjotr <pliniusminor@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Morten:
> Plus they provide the means for locking a .po file temporarily, add
> suggestions for collaborators and so on and so forth. Undoubtedly,
> they make it easier for new people to start participating in
> translating.

The locking aspect is certainly useful, that is true. But this is
mostly for heavily active projects, and I suspect people aren't
crowding each other in the translation submissions...

> Another great feature of Transifex and Pootle is, that they leave the
> choice to *the translators*, whether or not they wish to take the
> trouble to upload a translation for the *stable* version as well as
> for the development version.

Uploading them to the translation platform is no guarantee of them
being submitted to the codebase, though I see your point.
Another distinction:
I see your point in the various distributions still using the stable
versions, but do those providing binary packages actually repackage? I
would assume submitting additional code to the project would require
another release before it went live?

> @everybody:
> All in all, I've seen some encouraging responses to my initial message
> in this thread. I really hope that the Abiword developers will make
> this change happen.

It is certainly good to discuss it.

Yours,
Morten