Work to release Abiword 3.0

From: Simon Larochelle <larochelle.simon.1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Dec 16 2012 - 18:45:40 CET

Hi all,

I would like to start a discussion on the work needed to complete
Abiword version 3.0. Here is my list,

1) Merge Serhat's gsocdocx2012 branch

2) I18n: We should have one last round of translation updates before
the release. Note that one string was modified since release 2.9.4
(revision 32521).

3) Bugs:

a) build issue: We encountered one problem when we were preparing the
source code tarball for version 2.9.4. In the po directory, the
CLEANFILE and the EXTRA_DIST variables (Makefile.am) were the same so
"make clean" would remove the .string files and it would be
impossible to remake them since the .po files were not included in the
tarball (since EXTRA_DIST was set to the .string files). The quick and
dirty solution was to remove CLEANFILE (revision 31824). Is there
anybody with a good understanding of automake who would be willing to
take a look at this issue?

b) General code: There does not seem to be any critical bugs. Looking
at bug 13260 (the meta-bug for release 3.0), there are four bugs still
opened
bug 13208, 13225, 13226 and 13251, none of which should hold the release.

Bug 13208: frames work much better now than in version 2.8.6. Solving
the remaining bugs will require some important modifications of the
fb_ColumnBreaker code. This should wait after release 3.0.
Bug 13225: Is there anybody who has worked on automatically fixing
files with missing xml tags?
Bug 13226: Hub, can we close this bug report?
Bug 13251: There are no files included in the bug report. Can we close this bug?

c) GTK: No critical bugs.
Bug 13238: Not a problem on Ubuntu
Bug 13263: The dialog seems to work. Also this is not a regression
Bugs 13359 & 13406: limited to Ubuntu?
Bug 13444: Using the deprecated code solves the problem.

d) Windows: There are a few things that should be fixed before the
release (I do not have Windows. So this list is based solely on bug
reports and I cannot fix these bugs).

Bug 13030: We need to include a newer version of libgsf.
Bug 13389: Spell checker. According to Per Larsson, we need to provide
a version of Enchant compiled with MSVC. Also there are some issues
with the hunspell dictionaries.
Bugs 13423 and 13425: There might be some font problems.
MathView plugin: The plugin could not be included in release 2.9.4.

Other bugs (include in the meta-bug 13260)
Bug 12969: We do not have the resources to support Win2000
Bug 13175: epub exporter; should not hold the release

e) Mac: I have no idea what is the status of the Mac build.

Simon