Re: Abiword Documentation

From: David Chart <abiword_at_davidchart.com>
Date: Sun Aug 07 2016 - 12:57:27 CEST

> On 2016/08/07, at 18:44, Leon Stedman <leonukip@uwclub.net> wrote:
>
> 1. David Chart, who is named as documenter, is not contactable on the e-mail address given.

It’s 13 years old.

> He does not appear to have changed any documents since 2003.

That sounds about right. There might possibly be something that I changed in 2004, but probably not.

> Each unit of documentation consists of two files. An Abiword document and an "info" file. The info file is plain text and three lines long. These two files are compiled. using "make", a python script, and standard headers and footers (all part of the "documents" distribution), into an HTML file used by Abiword.

IIRC, part of the reason for this was to ensure that Abiword’s HTML export was constantly being tested.

> I had intended to write some new documents, but I have found that the existing documents, excellent though they were when written in 2002/3, are so far out of date as to be useless.

That sounds about right. I’m not entirely sure that 1.0 had been released when I stopped work.

If you want to rewrite from scratch, do so with my blessing. I don’t have time to work on this any more, and haven’t for years. It’s good to see someone picking it up.

--
David Chart
http://www.davidchart.com/