Re: Scripting

Jeff Evarts (jde@eng.us.uu.net)
Mon, 05 Apr 1999 13:53:35 -0400

Paul Prescod wrote:

> I notice that ABIWord is scheduled to use Javascript scripting. I would
> like to beg that you either use Python as KOffice does or (even better)
> use a technology that will allow multiple scripting languages to be
> plugged in (CORBA or some future variant of COM/XPCOM?).
>
> JavaScript is just so painful and Python is so beautiful.

Holy wars aside, if we *must* have a scripting language,
I think something that more people are familiar with is
a good direction to go.

Me? I'd prefer plain old Java, at least it *can* be made
secure. Python/Perl/Javascript are all painfully poorly
protected against exploits. Do NOT lecture me about the
programmer being capable of writing secure programs in
perl... I know all about the "suspect" bit on data structures.
That requires the scripter to be a smart coder, which
most users of word processors are NOT.

IMO, scripting languages are only appropriate for word
processors that exist in environments without command
lines, where batching is "hard".

> No, I probably won't back up this suggestion with code. It is just a
> suggestion and you are free to take it or leave it.

Well I will back up MY opinion with code: None. See? Wasn't that
easy? <laughs expected here, that was a joke>

> --
> Paul Prescod - ISOGEN Consulting Engineer speaking for only himself

-Jeff

--
Jeff Evarts
jde@eng.us.uu.net