Re: Scripting

Larry Kollar (kollar@stc.net)
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 08:20:16 -0400

OK, my two cents.

We have an application with roots in Unix.
We generally agree that scripting is a Good Thing (Melissa notwithstanding).
Like some others here, JavaScript would not be my first choice either.

I have a suggestion:

TCL.
It's designed to be embedded in apps.
It runs just about everywhere that AbiWord will (including Macs).
It's open source.
The only scripting language that I've found easier to learn was AppleScript.

I'll even point you to some code. :-) http://www.scriptics.com
Grab the library, drop it in the tree, add a few hooks. You're good to go.
Why waste time re-implementing a bumpy wheel?

Now I gotta jump on the Virago & get to work....

Larry Kollar (kollar@stc.net)