Re: Scripting

Robert G. Werner (rwerner@lx1.microbsys.com)
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 13:50:52 -0700 (PDT)

Frankly, if you all (maybe we all ;-) ) can't implement a secure macros system
then we might as well purge our hard dirves, load up Windows and be
assimilated by Microsquash. There just isn't any real reason why stupidity
like the "melissa virus" had to happen. Lazyness and a really stupid model
(one computer to one user) are the real causes of this "crisis". So long as a
script can't do something without my specific OK then I think we will be in
good shape.
Seems to me that Javascript will be an OK choice. I guess if you really want
to use Perl or Python you just need to parse the Abi-word DTD and do the
manipulations out side of the app. I could even see a whole field of
componetized helper apps developing that then could be combined with Abiword in
exciting ways (and this would fit nicely with the Unix tradition of
componetized tools).

Robert G. Werner
rwerner@lx1.microbsys.com
Impeach Conggress!!