Re: Fonts

Steve Willer (willer@interlog.com)
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 22:02:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Eric W. Sink wrote:

> Yes, the afm files are very, very necessary. They provide the font metrics
> which are used for the purpose of text layout. Printing would be
> impossible without those metrics.

I'm going to sound like a newbie here, but why isn't it possible (as I
read on DejaNews just now) to generate afm's from pfa's? You could at
least generate approximated font metrics, albeit perhaps without kerning
info...

> I should describe our restriction to Type1 fonts as being a "current"
> restriction. There is no reason why AbiWord could not be extended to
> support TrueType, for example. We have no immediate plans to do so, but it
> could be done.

A stopgap solution would be to convert them to pfa+afm. A page at
http://www.netspace.net.au/~mheath/ttf2pt1/ has a utility to do this,
apparently. I haven't tried it myself.

My main concern with the AbiWord fonts right now is that they're uglifying
my Netscape browsing. When you use 'xset +fp', does X search for fonts
beginning at the last +fp and moving backwards?