Re: Fonts

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.abisource.com)
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 00:19:15 -0500

On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 10:09:22PM -0600, Eric W. Sink wrote:
> Try 'xset fp+' rather than 'xset +fp', like we've described on our website at
> http://www.abisource.com/dev_download.phtml
>
> This might make a difference in what's happening with Netscape.

It might. :) Most of the problems I have are problems with the HTML,
in a sense. Many web pages, Slashdot included, have text formatted
through the FONT tag, with faces listed as "Arial", "Helvetica", etc.
We have aliases for several of our fonts to match Windows fonts, so
documents often appear similar. If we didn't, for example, register
a Sans Serif font for Arial, Windows-produced documents would default
to displaying a Times font in Unix. However, Netscape picks up
Arial (because it's listed before Helvetica, a proportioned X bitmap
font or Type1), and it scales poorly compared to X's Helvetica
screen font.

Using temporary font paths or telling Netscape to "only use my fonts
forever" produces decent output. That's what I do.

--
Shaw Terwilliger