Re: IRIX and GCC Makefile

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.sourcegear.com)
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 14:26:48 -0500

Bob Monaghan wrote:
> (Shaw, you might see about trying GCC 2.8.1 on your irix machine... go to
> http://freeware.sgi.com All of the lastest freeware packages are
> available, pre-compiled, and easy to install on any SGI box. That is where I
> get most of my IRIX stuff)

I'd install GCC 2.95 (the latest release with the EGCS changes merged),
but the machine isn't mine, nor do I have root access to it. I've done the
entire build in user space (LD_LIBRARY_PATH pointing to my own lib dirs, etc.).
The compiler on there (2.7.2.2) seems to also ignore the -static flag,
and since there's no documentation installed for 2.7.2.2, I can't
figure out why.

I have a dynamically linked IRIX .tar.gz package at:

http://www.abisource.com/binaries/0.7.4/irix/abisuite-0.7.4-IRIX_IP20_dynamic.tar.gz

You'll need libpng, zlib, glib and gtk installed to use it.
I've found that the libpng installed in /usr/lib on the build
host was too old to be useful. You can get libpng from
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/png. You can get zlib from
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib. You can get glib and
gtk from http://www.gtk.org/.

I'm looking around for an old SGI box to buy so I can keep up on this
stuff, but I don't have a lot of money to spend for filling in a
bare bones box... anyone know if IRIX can do net boots (BOOTP)
and NFS root like Linux, NetBSD, etc? SCSI disks these days cost
more than I'd pay for the rest of some workstations.

--
Shaw Terwilliger