Toward AbiWord 1.0 -- feature matrix

Subject: Toward AbiWord 1.0 -- feature matrix
From: Robert Sievers (bob@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 11:11:44 CST

Everyone on this list who has developed software knows that there is a lot
of detail that needs to be remembered before you can actually reach a
product with 1.0 quality. This not only includes various bug fixing and
stabilization, but also the completion of a feature set.

For example, AbiWord currently opens RTF documents, and AbiWord currently
supports hanging paragraphs, BUT AbiWord does not support opening RTF
documents with hanging paragraphs. This is just one of the many possible
combinations that need to be checked. Availablility of features from the
keyboard, menus, or Word import are just some of the areas that need to be
monitored. Tracking all of these details requires painstaking effort.
Fixing them does as well.

In that spirit, I have done the first half of the work.
http://www.abisource.com/feature_matrix.htm This URL is also available
from the AbiWord developer main page.

This is your opportunity to comment on AbiWord in a level of detail
heretofore impractical. Feel free to send comments to the list. This is a
living breathing document, and will change on a semi-regular basis.

This is also your opportunity to find meaningful places to contribute to
the AbiWord project. Any table cell that isn't green is a place that
requires some "coding love and attention". I have put a lot of work into
this document to provide everyone with the knowledge of where AbiWord could
use your help.

Onward and upward.

P.S. My apologies to Luke Jordan. The text-position row looks to be all
green, I just haven't had time to hammer that out yet.

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist