Re: UT_PAPER_UNITS_PER_INCH too small

Subject: Re: UT_PAPER_UNITS_PER_INCH too small
From: Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 11:45:24 CST

> 1. Change UT_PAPER_UNITS_PER_INCH to something real great like 65536.
> then we can still talk about 32767 inch. And hope fully translations
> between units can be done correctly.

The only potential problem here is overflowing a 32-bit integer (or 16-bit
if those are used to hold these values?), but I imagine that would only
arise if this value is squared somewhere. Of course, changing this might
break other things.

I'd like to see a value of at least 1440 (which would make the paper units
equivalent to twips). That should match or exceed the resolution of most
printers, too, which I think might fix the problem of printed pages
looking different than what's on the screen. Although, I doubt this is the
only thing that needs to be changed...

What are the problems with increasing this number? Will it actually help
anything? I don't know the layout code well enough to guess.

Justin