Re: word importer

Subject: Re: word importer
From: Robert Sievers (bob@abisource.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 16:56:01 CST

At 01:34 PM 12/6/99 -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:
>At 03:03 PM 12/6/99 -0600, Justin Bradford wrote:
>>Does anybody have a good .doc with an example of orphan/widow stuff?
>>I'm looking through the paragraph/section properties stored in Word files,
>>and I'm not sure which describes this behavior. I need to experiment.
>
>For someone with a copy of Word in front of them, coming up with an example
>should be very easy. Make a new document, paste in a few short paragraphs,
>select all, and then change the font size to something *big* (like 48pt or
>so). That ought to get you plenty of page breaks. :-)

Justin, you are way to efficient.

Here is the current scoop:

Both widows and orphans have no way to be set from the GUI, but the
properties should be read from .abw files if hand-edited. Therefore,
AbiWord should be able to grab them from Word docs. I will create some
test cases and send them to you.

>>Anyone with a .doc with custom tabs which do not show up in AbiWord?
>
>Bob?

Yea, I do have one. I'll send that one as well.

>>> That's what it should be. Argue with Bob about whether it works or not.
>>> haven't seen a test case either way. :-)
>>
>>I believe that I have tested this with some of Caolan's example docs.
>
>Bob?

I think this works. I just haven't had time to test it yet.

I have to run right now, but I will drop you mail early tomorrow with some
whiz-bang examples that will help clarify everything.

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist