Re: suggestions & observations

Ryan Park (rpark@space-dye.com)
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:44:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Larry Kollar wrote:

> Robert Sievers wrote:
>
> Make it a user-selectable item (put it in AbiWord.Profile?). I don't
> have a Windows box, have no intention of using one, and have no
> personal need to accommodate Windows. Others *do* have this need.

Because I come from a DOS/Windows background, I *would* like an automatic
extension, even in Unix. It's an easy way for me to keep track of word
processing docs, spreadsheets, etc. in the same subdirectory.

> Since AbiWord is smart enough to detect its own files, can the Windows
> version open files with *no* extension and add it on Save?

Actually, I've had a few problems with this: AbiWord would open its own
documents as text files, i.e. displaying all of the XML codes as text in
the documents. I have v0.7.1 installed for both Windows and Linux, and
don't remember the specifics of the problem. I'll try to see if I can
reproduce it in the next few days and find out more information.

I've also had problems with AbiWord closing without warning. This usually
happens while I'm typing (and, due to Murphy's Law, it only happens when
I'm typing something semi-important <g>.) This occurs in both Windows and
Linux, produces core files in Linux (I think), but I don't know how to
dissect the core files. Are those files useful to developers? What
additional information might help to determine the causes of these
crashes?

Thanks,

Ryan