Re: Survive

Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 01:26:36 -0500 (CDT)

> I have one question. You put up a company to provide free software,
> I wonder how do you survive ?

Abiword is an Open Source project, and the company Abisource is leading
the development of the software. Like other companies which produce Open
Source products (such as Redhat, Caldera, SuSE, Netscape, and many
others), Abisource can make money selling services based around Abiword
and eventually Abisuite. I don't know what Abisource's particular plans
are, but they might do things such as sell support contracts, books and
other documentation, or maybe do custom development for various companies
and organizations.

> I'd love to do stuff I like without worring about money.

I'm pretty sure the people at Abisource expect to make money from Abiword
and their future projects, but not in the conventional way software
companies like Microsoft do.

Other contributors, such as myself, just like to program, and contribute
to projects like Abiword for a) fun and b) because we want a high-quality,
open source word processor.

Open Source development is a different way to produce software, which
usually produces better results, at less cost to the users. If you want to
read more about this, trying visiting http://www.opensource.org/

Justin