Re: MS Word

Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 01:11:09 -0500 (CDT)

> However, it does not seem to open MS Word97 documents or any MS Word
> documents for that matter. Is this a documented (no pun intended) bug?

It should open your Word97 documents fine. It might lose some formatting,
but it should open the file. Can you provide more information about your
particular computer and configuration and any output or error messages
when you try to import a doc file? Perhaps even a sample doc you have that
won't work?

> Even my old MS Word 6.0 documents cannot be read. It cannot open
> anything with a .DOC extension for that matter.

Abiword currently doesn't support Word 6.0 documents. Unfortunately, the
file formats are very complicated, and it takes a great deal of work to
support them. We'll get them eventually, however.

> What now? Are there any patches?

Like I said, you should be able to open Word97 files. Once we understand
the problem you're having, we'll fix it.

Justin